Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ema's first race

My life before Ema was pretty boring. It went a little something like this. Get up, go to work, come home, and get ready to go to the gym. Work out for an hour or two, go home, cook, eat, go to bed. Tiger games were squeezed in here and there and most importantly RACES were #1. It might sound boring to you, but we loved it. In July of last year, I dedicated myself to running a 5K everyday until we got Ema. I kept my promise to myself and I did exactly that. We completed all of the Road Race Series races and became road warriors. I said all of that to say, I miss running races so bad. I am very competitive and the adrenalin rush that you get when running races is CRAZY! Since Ema running is something I have to MAKE myself do. It's not that I don't want to, its just that at the end of the day all I am ready to do is see her. We have gotten back into our routine with working out and I have kinda gotten back into my routine of running. Friday night we tackled our first short run in Germantown. It was the Nike for Kids 5K. Pulling up into the parking lot and seeing all of the runners out brought back those butterfly's. Ema was matching from head to toe. She had her sun glasses, her snack and juice, and she was ready. Getting in the finish line was awesome. I found quickly that there is something that I DO miss about my life before Ema. RUNNING RACES!!!! It was a lot of fun. I did a lot better than I thought I would do since I have not ran outside since the half marathon we ran before leaving for Vietnam. I have done most of my training on a treadmill. It was hard to control my breathing due to all the excitement but I managed. My goal was to run it under 30 minutes and I did, my time was 28.05. I could have done better but since I haven't been running outside I was happpy with my time. I am ready for the next race already! Here are some pictures from Ema's first road race.

2 comments:

Krista and Matt said...

YAY!!!!!! I love her stroller ;) And her little new balance shoes are adorable. Again, I am so proud of you guys!!!

Laura Dawson said...

30 minutes is great with a stroller...that thing really wears you out more than you would think! Congrats!